What is THE SCIENCE OF TEACHING READING?
Haskins Literacy Initiative promotes the science of teaching reading by:
• Translating the latest findings from Haskins Laboratories—and other reading researchers—into professional development and classroom practices to help teachers instruct reading more effectively.
• Creating and delivering a sustainable model by continually monitoring, analyzing, and refining the content and conduct of professional development and embedded coaching, and by extensively training on-site Teacher Specialists to continue mentoring teachers.
• Continuing to design and conduct research to improve teacher knowledge and student achievement in reading.
• Using student data to drive and differentiate instruction with an eye to improving the efficacy of student assessment tools.
• Creating “method-proof” teachers who can weigh the merits of the latest reading research, programs, and materials.
• Tailoring professional development to meet the needs of individual schools, teachers, and students, and advising about key materials needed to supplement existing school curricula.
• Providing a realistic roadmap to higher student achievement through scope-and-sequences with clear curricular goals that guide seamless delivery of reading instruction across grade levels.