1962-1964, St. Dunstans Fellow, National Physical Laboratory, Teddington, U.K.
1965-1966, Staff Physicist, California Institute of Technology
1966-1969, Research Fellow, California Institute of Technology
1969-1971, Senior Research Fellow, California Institute of Technology
1971-1975, Research Staff, Haskins Laboratories
1975-1992, Associate Director of Research, Haskins Laboratories
1992-1997, Vice President for Administration, Haskins Laboratories
- Fender, D. H. and P. W. Nye. (1962). An investigation of the mechanisms of
- eye movement control. Kybernetik, 1, 81-84.
- Fender, D. H. and P. W. Nye. (1962). Retinal image motion in a simple pattern
- recognition task. Kybernetik, 1, 192-194.
- Nye, P. W. (1962). Aural recognition time for multi-dimensional signals.
- Nature, 196, 1282.
- Nye, P. W. (1963). Psychological factors limiting the rate of acceptance of
- audio stimuli. In: Technology and Blindness. L. L. Clark, ed. New York: The American Foundation for the Blind. pp. 99-109.
- Nye, P. W. (1964). Reading aids for blind people--A survey of progress with
- the technological and human problems. Med. Electron. Biol. Engineering, 2, 247-264.
- Nye, P. W. (1968). Analysis of colour responses of the ERG of the pigeon
- (Columba livia). In: Clinical Electroretinography. Basel/New York: Karger. pp. 221-231.
- Nye, P. W. (1968). Research on reading aids for the blind--a dilemma. Med.
- Electron. Biol. Engineering, 6, 43-51.
- Nye, P. W. (1968). An examination of the electroretinogram of the pigeon in
- response to stimuli of different intensity and wavelength and following intense chromatic adaptation. Vision Res.,8, 679-696.
- Nye, P. W. (1969). The monocular eye movements of the pigeon. Vision Res.,
- 9, 133-144.
- Nye, P. W. and J. C. Bliss. (1970). Sensory aids for the blind: A challenging
- problem with lessons for the future. Proc. IEEE, 58, 1878-1898.
- Naka, K. I. and P. W. Nye. (1970). Receptive field organization of the catfish
- retina: Are at least two lateral mechanisms involved? J. Neurophysiol., 33, 625-642.
- Nye, P. W. (1970). Human factors underlying the design of reading aids for
- the blind. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Engineering, BME-17, 97-100.
- Naka, K. I. and P. W. Nye. (1971). Role of horizontal cells in the organization
- of the catfish retinal receptive field. J. Neurophysiol., 34, 785-801.
- Nye, P. W. and K. I. Naka. (1971). The dynamics of inhibitory interaction in a
- frog receptive field: A paradigm of paracontrast. Vision Res., 11, 377-392.
- Mobility Aids for the Blind (Washington, D.C.: National Academy of Engineering).
- Levitt, H. and P. W. Nye. Editors. (1971). Proceedings of a Conference on
- Sensory Training Aids for the Hearing Impaired (Washington, D.C.: National Academy of Engineering).
- Nye, P. W. (1973). On visual differentiation between frontal and lateral fields
- in the visual system of the pigeon. Vision Res., 13, 559-574.
- Nye, P. W., J. D. Hankins, T. Rand, I. G. Mattingly, and F. S. Cooper. (1973). A
- plan for the field evaluation of an automated reading system for the blind. IEEE Trans. Audio & Electroacoustics, AU-21, 265-268.
- Nye, P. W. and J. H. Gaitenby. (1973). Consonant intelligibility in synthetic
- speech and in a natural speech control (modified rhyme test results). Haskins Laboratories Status Report on Speech Research, SR-33, 77-91.
- Nye, P. W. and J. H. Gaitenby. (1974). The intelligibility of synthetic
- monosyllabic words in short syntactically normal sentences. Haskins Laboratories Status Report on Speech Research, SR-37/38, 169-189.
- Nye, P. W., F. Ingemann, and L. Donald. (1975). A comparison of listener
- performances with preferences among different speech forms. Haskins Laboratories Status Report on Speech Research, SR-41, 117-126.
- Nye, P. W., L. J. Reiss, F. S. Cooper, R. M. McGuire, P. Mermelstein, and T.
- Montlick. (1975). A digital pattern playback for the analysis and manipulation of speech signals. Haskins Laboratories Status Report on Speech Research, SR-44, 95-107.
- Nye, P. W. (1976). Reading devices for blind people. Med. Progr. Technol., 4,
- Cooper, F. S., P. Mermelstein, and P. W. Nye. (1977). Speech synthesis as a
- tool for the study of speech production. In: Dynamic Aspects of Speech Production, ed. M. Sawashima and F. S. Cooper (Tokyo, Japan: University of Tokyo Press) 307-322.
- Abramson, A. S., P. W. Nye, J. B. Henderson, and C. W. Marshall. (1981).
- Vowel height and the perception of consonantal nasality. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 70, 329-339.
- Marshall, C. W. and P. W. Nye. (1983). Stress and vowel duration effects on
- syllable recognition. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 74, 433-443.
- Cooper, F. S., Gaitenby, J. H., & Nye, P. W. (1984). Evolution of reading
- machines for the blind: Haskins Laboratories' research as a case history. J. Rehabilit. Rsch. Dvpmt., 21, 51-87.
- Baer, T., Gore, J. C., Boyce, S., & Nye, P. W. (1987). Application of MRI to the
- analysis of speech production. Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Vol. 5, 1-7.
- Baer, T., Gore, J. C., Gracco, L. C., & Nye, P. W. (1989). Vocal tract
- dimensions obtained from magnetic resonance images. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 116, S125.
- Baer, T., Gore, J. C., Gracco, L.C., & Nye, P. W. (1991). Analysis of vocal tract
- shape and dimensions using magnetic resonance imaging: Vowels. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 90(2), 799-828.
- Gracco, V. L. & Nye, P. W. (1993). Magnetometry in speech articulation
- research: Some misadventures on the road to enlightenment. Proceedings of the ACCOR Workshop on Electromagnetic Articulography in Phonetic Research, 91-104.
- Löfqvist, A., Gracco, V. L. & Nye, P. W. (1993) Recording speech movements
- using magnetometry: One laboratory's experience. Proceedings of the ACCOR Workshop on Electromagnetic Articulography in Phonetic Research, 143-162.
- Nye, P. & Fowler, C. A. (2003). Shadowing latency and imitation: The effect of
- familiarity with the phonetic patterning of English. Journal of Phonetics, 31, 63-79.