April 11, 1974 - October 9, 2006
Senior Scientist, Haskins Laboratories
B.A., Psychology, Binghamton University, SUNY, 1996
M.S., Cognitive Psychology, University of Pittsburgh, 1998
Ph.D., Cognitive Psychology, University of
Rebecca's research was focused on understanding the cognitive processes underlying
skilled and impaired reading, reading acquisition, and successful reading
instruction and remediation. She extended this work to the
study of the neurobiology of reading processes and reading disability using
functional magnetic imaging (fMRI) technology.
- Sandak, R., Mencl, W. E., Frost, S. J., Rueckl, J. G., Katz, L., Moore, D., Mason, S. M.,
Fulbright, R. K., Constable, R. T., Pugh, K. R. (2004). The neurobiology of adaptive
learning in reading: A contrast of different training conditions. Cognitive, Affective, &
Behavioral Neuroscience, 4, 67-88.
- Sandak, R., Mencl, W. E., Frost, S. J., Mason, S. A., and Pugh, K. R. (2004).
The neurobiological basis of skilled and impaired reading: Recent findings and new directions.
In R. Sandak & R. A. Poldrack (Eds.), Scientific Studies of Reading: Special Issue on the
Cognitive Neuroscience of Reading, 8, 273-292.
- Poldrack, R. A., & Sandak, R. (2004). The cognitive neuroscience of reading:
Introduction to the special issue. In R. Sandak & R. A. Poldrack (Eds.), Scientific
Studies of Reading: Special Issue on the Cognitive Neuroscience of Reading, 8, 199-202.
- McCandliss, B., Beck, I. L., Sandak, R., & Perfetti, C. (2003). Focusing
attention on decoding for children with poor reading skills: A study of the
word building intervention. Scientific Studies of Reading, 7, 75-104.
- Perfetti, C. A., & Sandak, R. (2001). Literacy Education. In N. J. Smelser, &
P. B. Baltes (Eds.), International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral
Sciences. Pergamon, Oxford.
- Sandak, R., & Fiez, J. A. (2000). Stuttering: A view from neuroimaging. The
Lancet, 356, 445-446.
- Perfetti, C. A., & Sandak, R. (2000). Reading optimally builds on spoken
language: Implications for deaf literacy. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf
Education, 5(1), 31-50.